Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Trial and Error with Wordpress and Free Websites

I've been trying my hand at a Wordpress blog using a free hosting account with Host-ed.net. Needless to say, as a beginner blogger, I really had to work my way through it.

I started out by searching for a good domain provider - a free domain provider. I was too cheap to buy a domain for myself. I found a few popular domain providers ending with the names like .tk, .co.cc, and .co.nr.
Tk apparently was around for quite a while, but already requires the user to put up a lot of ads. Co.cc had upgrades to give you more control over the website, while .co.nr was overcrowded with users already that it had to stop receiving new domain requests. I finally discovered a good domain provider at cz.cc. It provides you with a domain at no cost, without even being required to use advertisements. Cz.cc also has sufficient DNS control (had to study that one too along the way) so that you could not simply redirect the domain to another website. They even have an affiliate program with which to promote their service, for 14 cents per persons who signs up for a free domain on their site.

In my search for free stuff, I found the best free hosting account with Host-ed.net. I originally signed up at 000webhost.com but found that there were too many bad reviews about its performance, and it was exceptionally slow at too many hours. I eventually switched to Host-ed.net after lots of contemplation and research. So far I am very satisfied with it. The features and interface are great. Uploading files was a breeze. Host-ed.net has given me one experience of downtime, but the good uptime speed made up for it.

Then came uploading Wordpress into my webhost. This one was a challenge. You'd have to modify a lot of stuff - especially that file called wp-config.php. I'm not here to teach you how, just to say that you'd have stuff to do in fixing it up. I had to download and upload the themes as well, and modify it to my desire. Furthermore I found a plugin that could create nifty dropdown menus using categories - it's a plugin by Pixopoint called Multilevel Navigation for Wordpress. But then I tried uploading an SEO plugin, and accidentally deleted something important in my file directory. It wrecked my Wordpress interface. Hence, I'm starting from scratch.

As you can assume, I'm pretty pissed off with Wordpress and the necessities for File Transfer Protocols and all that website creating stuff. Though it's kind of my fault, I can't help it. I suddenly missed the simplicity of Blogger. So here I am, blogging away with Blogger and wondering what could have happened had I not deleted that stupid file. I'm going to have to upload everything all over again, and I'm not sure I have the heart for it at the moment. Maybe when the need arises again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey fellow free money making person here. I think it is way cool that you actually tried your hands on Wordpress. I heard it is cool blog platform but never actually tried. Good luck on your Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete